Well, it's Friday, and we're still alive over here at the Inaugural Rice Paddy's Homeschool 2011-12. What a week it has been. When our first day culminated in the ER with a baby JohnMac who had crawled up on the school table and put the scissors to his finger, I was almost convinced that not only would I shipwreck these children's education, but quite possibly their lives as well! It was a dark moment.
But, alas, I got some sleep (amazing how that helps), and the next morning the outlook was less bleak. I remembered what drove this decision in the first place. I feel like the Lord has given me one real instance each day this week in which I've known we- for this season- are on the right path. I'm writing them down and calling them my 'joy-moments'...like on Tuesday afternoon when we all headed to the back yard with the crazy creek and yoga mats and fudge sickles and the children laid on their backs watching clouds while I read aloud Charlotte's Web, and I think, THIS is why we're doing this. I am grateful for those. Because besides those moments, there is a lot of just figuring out the next thing to survive. But I do think it will get easier. I see how this is not just an educational transition, but a transitional way-of-life... and I have REALLY appreciated the fact that when I climbed into the van just now to discover from whence came the rotted milk smell, I hadn't loaded all the children up since last weekend! That is a welcome change. Used to be drop off at school A at 7:45, school B at 9, pick up at school B at 12 and at school A at 3. That made for a very chopped up day.
But let me share with you now a shot from the end of the afternoon today. Little did the children know when we chose to home school, that their course load would increase to include Home Ec 101.
That's right. Here you see Evans folding MY laundry. Success!
But, alas, I got some sleep (amazing how that helps), and the next morning the outlook was less bleak. I remembered what drove this decision in the first place. I feel like the Lord has given me one real instance each day this week in which I've known we- for this season- are on the right path. I'm writing them down and calling them my 'joy-moments'...like on Tuesday afternoon when we all headed to the back yard with the crazy creek and yoga mats and fudge sickles and the children laid on their backs watching clouds while I read aloud Charlotte's Web, and I think, THIS is why we're doing this. I am grateful for those. Because besides those moments, there is a lot of just figuring out the next thing to survive. But I do think it will get easier. I see how this is not just an educational transition, but a transitional way-of-life... and I have REALLY appreciated the fact that when I climbed into the van just now to discover from whence came the rotted milk smell, I hadn't loaded all the children up since last weekend! That is a welcome change. Used to be drop off at school A at 7:45, school B at 9, pick up at school B at 12 and at school A at 3. That made for a very chopped up day.
But let me share with you now a shot from the end of the afternoon today. Little did the children know when we chose to home school, that their course load would increase to include Home Ec 101.
Wow! I am sooo proud of you! Homeschooling mam, called by God. You are doing it. Stephen laughed out loud at JohnMac heading to ER day 1 (those guys lack sensitivity sometimes:) ) and I laughed out loud at your success at Evans doing laundry for you. I smiled big as I pictured yall reading Charlotte's Web outside. I used to LOVE doing that with my students at The Geneva School. You are an amazing teacher (and Mama, I already knew), and a super writer, by the way. I loved catching up on the Rice Paddy as I read lots of your posts. Loved getting to know sweet Charlotte in the mem verse video. Your family is beautiful. Tell Katie she has an artist's future in store. WE love y'all and wish so much that we could get our wild and wooly families together! PRaying for our godson as he starts 2nd grade, and for all of you as you kick of the school year. Love you friend. (During your teacher breaks - those are mandatory:) - call me for a catch up:)
ReplyDeletei can't wait to hear ALL about it! Love you!!
ReplyDeleteand i second B's request. conference call?
ReplyDelete