Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A DC Mother's Day

Mother's Day might just be my favorite day of the year (does that betray extreme narcissism? Hope not!). And it always begins the same way. Breakfast in bed for the mama.




My dear hubby brings breakfast and all of the children into the bedroom to give me hugs, their handmade school presents, lots of 'I love you's' and 'you're the best mom in the world's', and then he proceeds to take them all back out of the room, shut the door, and I get to remain there forever (or at least until we leave for church). I prop the pillows behind my back, shut out the noises from the rest of the house, and then just sit. Gaze out the window. Look at my journal, maybe even read and write in it. Maybe just sit. And I enjoy a brief moment of zero responsibility. It is priceless.

This particular morning I enjoyed a conversation first with my mom (a true 'best mom in the world'), and then with my sister. I had to wish her a "Happy Best-Aunt-Day in the World." If that holiday doesn't exist, it is certainly time it should. Maybe I'll lobby Congress. I do live in the capitol. After 12 minutes of uninterrupted conversation with Katherine, she exclaimed, 'Wow, Libby! I can't remember the last time we've gotten to talk to each other this long!" A day to remember, for sure. After church and a picnic lunch in the front yard, we packed the family up and headed downtown, eager to continue enjoying the gorgeous weather. I am always amazed at how close (and yet so far away) we live to such a spectacular city. It was very fun to enjoy it with the children. I guess it's their hometown in a way? Strange!



Soccer by the Washington Monument.




Libby's special photography with her phone- cool!

Brother and Sister.

Little Munchkin.



In the next several pictures you will see why, though the conditions were perfect (warm afternoon, slight breeze, full tummy, beautiful setting), an afternoon nap remains impossible. He might have to wait until Father's Day.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, this is the cutest post! Love you so much!
    Can't wait to see your next post of John walking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. What did they serve you for breakfast? One piece looks a little burned.

    ReplyDelete